What Happens at a Weekly Feed?
Wednesday nights begin as the trucks roll in, unloading tables, chairs and totes full of clothing and supplies. We set up the food tables, drinks, and snacks. The hot food pans are lit and servers are coached while our friends begin lining up outside the gate for the Feed. When the gate is opened, the line moves in, and we all gather in a circle to pray God’s blessing on the food and the evening. Wednesday nights are about MUCH MORE than just a meal!
- WHO can serve at the Wednesday Night Feeds? Anyone! Singles, couples, youth groups, companies, college students, high school students, and families! If your heart is for the homeless and less fortunate, we have a place for you.
- KIDS? We welcome kids ages 5 and up to serve alongside their parents on Wednesday nights. It’s a great experience for them, and they bring an energy to the Feeds that sometimes we adults don’t always have. However, we want to make sure that they are safe so we suggest that children serve at the same stations with their parent to allow for proper supervision.
- SERVICE STATIONS ASSIGNMENTS:
- Bag Station: Hand out plastic sacks to our friends to help them carry what they gather.
- Groceries: The fresh bags of salad, fruits, veggies, yogurt, puddings etc. are some items we can send along with them.
- Treat Tables: Sometimes you just need a treat! Chips, crackers, donuts, cookies and other baked goods are always popular.
- Full Meal, often Hot Meal: This is where the substance of our food really shines! We provide healthful, delicious, real food to our friends. Think of things like Lasagne and French bread, Chicken Fettucine and corn on the cob, or a full taco station with all the fixings.
- Starbuck/Wakeup call & Other Local Coffee: Hot and iced coffees with all the frufru add-ins! We also have hot apple cider and cocoa in the cooler months.
- Drinks: Bottled water, juices and milk.
- Clothing and Toiletries Tables: This area is very popular and staffed by many volunteers to ensure that everyone gets what they are looking for and that there are enough items for all.
- Blanket Table: This one usually goes quickly because supplies are limited.
- VOLUNTEER NEEDS FOR FEEDS
45-50 Scheduled volunteer staff, pulled from regular volunteers and new ones. Scheduled volunteers will be assigned to a station for the Feed. Due to the increased blessings from the media, we are very excited to have so many people who want to serve; however, you must be scheduled in order to volunteer. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com. She will email you back with dates available.
- FEED SPONSORS NEEDED
If your group is interested in sponsoring a Wednesday night Feed, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.